Part of our work in 2017 was to celebrate our centennial and solidify our foundation for the next one hundred years in our four focus areas: advocating business interests to government, influencing through political action, promoting the community, and providing opportunities to build better relationships.
Our board, members, affiliates, partners and staff worked collectively to produce many important achievements this year, including this partial list:
- Worked with state and local government to accomplish 13 legislative pro-business wins
- Advocated for K-12 education funding formula focused on weightings for urban districts with high-density poverty
- Supported Wichita State University and Wichita Area Technical College affiliation
- Supported tax credits to stimulate aviation technical training
- Initiated Diversity and Inclusion Listening Tour with 9 sessions
- Supported the Youth Employment Program
- Presented the first Exceptional Young Leader award at our annual Honors Night
- Partnered with minority business organizations for several events
- Developed a regional legislative agenda and included area Chamber leaders in 2017 events
- Connected 63 Young Professionals with 17 community leader mentors
- Added 245 new members in a campaign that utilized more than 200 volunteers
- Convened the Quality of Place Task Force to study key community opportunities
- Supported City of Wichita’s riverfront development plans and new baseball stadium
Driving economic growth and community advancement in our region requires exceptional teamwork, and 2017 has yielded the positive results of working closely with our partners, elected officials and other Chambers in the region. These dedicated leaders have also been expanding their networks to be more inclusive so that our work includes more diversity in our approach to successfully competing in a global marketplace.
Click here to see the 2017 Annual Summary (pictured below).